Thursday, October 25, 2007

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 6)

Night View of Mill and River (Oil Bar Painting Day 6) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This morning, I went to the studio at Red Brick and worked on this painting of the Merrimac River in Manchester, New Hampshire. Today I concentrated on the mill building. I mixed up a neutral color with purple tones, and got to work straightening out the windows, using the smallest brush I could find. This might sound easy, but it requires a lot of control and concentration. While I was at it, I made the windows smaller, as in an older building, so the building won't look contemporary. I also used some whites and yellows on the windows. When I was nearly finished, I decided to repaint four columns of windows because the spacing was wrong, so I roughed that in. By then, it was already past time to leave, so I turned the painting upside-down, and added some of the same purple color to the building's reflection in the water, scumbling the color on to keep the reflection looking less precise than the building itself. I am still not sure about this color for the building. I may add still more red-purple to it, to restore it to the color I used on Day 5. To be continued. . . .

No comments: