Sunday, February 03, 2008

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 3)

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 3)

This is my self-portrait in progress, as it looked after I finished painting on Friday, which was the third session. The day before had not gone well, and I was anxious to get to the studio and try to get the portrait back on track. That morning, I had used Painter to do a digital overlay over the previous day's work. (See yesterday's post.) I printed it out and took it along to the studio to use as a reference. When I got to the studio, as planned, I changed the hairline, and moved and repainted the eye on the left side of the canvas. Yes, it was the position of the features that had created the problem, and I was a lot happier once I had made the changes. I still have more changes to make, and this is still not what I would consider a likeness, but I was relieved and felt that the painting was back on track. I am going to move features around some more, and I am not really worrying about color yet, so the skin tone is still yellow, and the eyes are not even the same color! As I was working on repainting the eye, I noticed that I was getting a lot of purple/red tones, and I remembered that when I was a little girl, my mother used to say that I had bing cherry eyes. (At the time, I had no idea what a lucky little girl I was to have a mother who would say things like that. )

No comments: