Sunday, February 17, 2008

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 6)

Self-Portrait With Self-Portrait (Oil Bar Painting Day 6) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is an oil bar painting in progress. On Friday morning, I went to the studio to work on my self-portrait to make the same changes on canvas that I had made digitally the day before. (See yesterday's post.) I took along a printout of version with digital overlay. I really limited myself to making just those same few changes on the canvas, making the nose shorter and narrower (by less than a quarter inch), which put the cheek muscle in the right place. I also added more light to the corner of the eye on the left. I didn't make any more major changes to the face on Friday apart from adding a little bit of shading to the left side of the face, and then I let it be, although there are more changes to come. I didn't want to change too many things at once in the face, because if I lose the likeness, it will be harder to know what to do to get it back, so I am taking things one step at a time. But I did straighten out the lines on the wall in the background. The next step will be to move the mouth and chin up slightly (again by about a quarter inch) to get the face slightly rounder, and then even out the skin tones where I have made changes. To be continued. . . .

No comments: