Friday, March 14, 2008

Two Mountains with Sun (Mixed Media Monotype)


Two Mountains with Sun (Mixed Media Monotype) Originally uploaded by randubnick

I am taking a short class on printmaking at Red Brick Studios. The class meets once a week for three weeks, and the first session was yesterday. I have had very little exposure to printmaking, and the little experience I have had took place several decades ago! So it is fun to learn something new. I wanted to concentrate on learning this new process, so I used familiar imagery: mountains from my memories of my home state, Colorado. We used oil paint as ink, and for this image, I used pieces of cardboard as a brush. Then we ran our plates through a press. I was happy with most of the image when I pulled it off the plate, but the sun had become a blob. (I had too much pigment on the plate, and I didn't think about how it might spread under pressure.) But I liked the rest of the image, so I used a brush and a little more of the oil paint to fix the sun, which is why this image is labeled mixed media.

No comments: