Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Lilacs and House at Long Hill

Lilacs and House at Long Hill (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

Yesterday and the day before, I posted images of lilacs, taken on an overcast day at Long Hill Gardens. Here is another photo of lilacs, taken that same overcast day, but this time with the house at Long Hill in the background. I took this photo because I liked the way the lilacs looked against the brick and architectural detail of the house. This house is now a public building rather than a private residence. Although I usually just refer to this place as Long Hill, the official name is Sedgwick Gardens at Long Hill, run by The Trustees of the Reservation. The house was once the home of Ellery Sedgwick (of the Atlantic Monthly) and his wife, Mabel Cabot Sedgwick. Now it holds a horticultural library and administrative offices. I have only been inside the house once or twice, and it is beautiful, inside and out. But for me, the grounds are the main attraction, a great place to walk, relax, watch the seasons go by, and take pictures.

No comments: