Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Walking on Sand Bar (Dane Street Beach)

Walking on Sand Bar (Dane Street Beach) Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is the second in a series of photographs that I took yesterday during a late afternoon walk on Dane Street Beach. The tide was very low, and people were walking out on the sand bars, like the tiny figure of a person on the right. (I usually crop innocent passersby out of my photos, but I didn't in this case to show how far out people were going.) Some of the people walking out on the sandbar had their dogs with them. It looked like fun, so out we went, even though our dog was a little skeptical at first. The reflected light on the water makes it look deep, but the water is very shallow. You can stay pretty dry if you are careful where you step. (Taking pictures doesn't help with that, however.) As in yesterday's photo, the smokestacks mark Salem in the distance. I took lots of photos of the patterns made by the sand and the water, and I will post one of them tomorrow. But I wanted to post this photo first because it continues the story of my little unexpected adventure. My shoes got soaked, my clothes were full of sand, and dinner was late. But I was smiling all the way home.

No comments: