Saturday, December 27, 2008

Heart-Shaped Box as of December 27






Heart-Shaped Box as of December 27   (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

I finally had a chance to return to the studio to work on this project.  This heart-shaped box once held a Mother's Day gift from my daughter, and now I am covering it with collage and decoupage patterns.  I am using printed metallic ribbons that a friend was giving away.  Today I concentrated on the outside of the box.  Finding the right place for each piece of ribbon is tedious, but it is also calming, almost like a meditation.  I am trying to put the pieces together with minimal overlap, to get as smooth a surface as possible.  I am also paying attention to color, pattern, and shape.  Each little decision seems very small, but in the aggregate, each little decision matters. It doesn't really help to hurry, and I have found that I can't force things. What works best is to relax enough to find the place where each little piece of ribbon seems to naturally fit.  If I can do that, then sometimes things just seem to fall into place.

No comments: