Thursday, January 15, 2009

Considering the Hudson River




Considering the Hudson River   (Originally uploaded by randubnick)

This image began as a photo that I took two summers ago, from the penthouse of my aunt's apartment building on Manhattan's upper west side.  (Tonight I cropped this composition out of the original photograph, then used Painter to posterize some selected areas.)  I became acquainted with the Hudson River at the age of seven, during a train trip from Colorado to visit relatives in New York.  As we neared New York City, my father explained that the train would be going under the Hudson River.  (WHAT?)  Years later, this amazing passage became (almost) common place when I lived in New Jersey, and frequently made this underwater crossing by train or in the Lincoln or Holland Tunnel.  Today the Hudson River became a marvel yet again, as it became a makeshift runway, providing safe passage in a most unexpected way.

No comments: