Sunday, May 09, 2010

Mom at Poker Game (Digital Silkscreen)


Mom at Poker Game (Digital Silkscreen)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is part two of my Mother's Day project. Yesterday I posted an image of my mother, a digitally edited picture of her that I pulled out of small snapshot, a group photograph of a poker game. (I also love the original snapshot, probably taken by my Uncle Bob, because among the other poker players are my dad, my Aunt Edy, and my Grandma Kates.) To turn the group photo into an individual portrait, I had to draw over the image with digital pastel, and then posterize it. In yesterday's version, the posterizing was very subtle, to keep the image realistic. But while I was working on it, I tried posterizing at different levels, and in doing so, came up with the second version which appears here. (Posterizing at high levels is creates some distortion, so for this version, I also had to refine the result by with more digital pastel and color overlay.) So no actual silkscreen was involved in creating this image, but I call it a "digital silkscreen" because it reminds me of some of the silkscreens made by Andy Warhol. Well, my mom wasn't an iconic beauty, like Marilyn Monroe, or elegant, like Jackie Kennedy, and she wasn't famous at all, not even for fifteen minutes. But as a little girl, I saw her as beautiful, elegant, even glamorous, and looking at this image I can still see why I thought so.

No comments: