Sunday, June 20, 2010

Dad at St Paul's Dome (Rescued and Colorized Snapshot)


Dad at St Paul's Dome (Rescued and Colorized Snapshot)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

Yesterday I was looking through my mom's World War II album and found a snapshot of my dad at St. Paul's Dome in London. The (unfamiliar) handwriting on the back reads "Zig at St. Paul's Dome". Apparently that was his nickname in the army (short for Zagon). He was stationed in Europe during the war, and apparently was doing some sight-seeing with army friends. There also a photo of my father and another soldier standing in the same location, labeled "Zig and Ray at St. Paul's Dome". (That would be Ray Raillard; I have heard about my dad's friend Ray before, and other photos in the album confirm the full name.) So the remaining mystery is who is the third person who took the picture and labeled the photos? I don't know, but he did a good job. In any case, I am grateful to the unknown photographer with whom I am collaborating on this little Father's Day project. The original snapshot was a bit the worse for wear, so I decided to rescue it. I scanned the image, and used iPhoto for some straightening, cropping, and basic cleanup. (I also saved a version of the image at that point, to keep.) Then I opened the image in Painter and did some gentle color overlays with the selection tool. Then I cropped again to get the final composition which you see here. I am happy with the result, and also happy that I learned a little more about my dad as I worked on this project.

1 comment:

Minka said...

Nice picture of your dad. Where is St Paul's Cathedral? Was this taken when he first arrived in Europe?