Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lilies at Long Hill Edited


Lilies at Long Hill Edited
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a digitally edited version of the photo I posted yesterday of lilies in bloom at Long Hill Gardens. When I took the picture, I was excited about the colorful blossoms, the textures in the leaves, and the composition. I liked the photo just as it came out of the camera, but still, I thought I might be able to change it a bit. I liked the informal arrangement, the lilies in various stages of blooming, and the endless complications of the leaves. But because it has been so hot here, there were lots of dry leaves, so many that I thought they were creating a distraction from the vibrancy of the flowers. So I opened the image in Painter and used a little light digital pastel so add a bit of color to the dried leaves. While I was at it, I covered up a few problems with some opaque digital pastel. I still like the original version, so I kept the changes subtle, using a light green or a yellow green where I could. I sometimes use these images for cards and greetings, and for that sort of thing, I would be more likely to use the edited version of this photo. I also created a posterized image from the edited version, which I plan to publish here tomorrow.

No comments: