Thursday, July 22, 2010

NYC Fruit Stand (Digitally Modified and Posterized)


NYC Fruit Stand (Digitally Modified and Posterized)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This image began with a photograph that I took in Manhattan on Monday morning. This was a very short visit, with no time for tourism. But I did get a chance to have a walk on Broadway on the upper West Side. I love the outdoor fruit stands in New York City, so when I saw one, I took a picture. When I got back home and loaded the image into the computer, I could see that the photo included several empty cardboard boxes and big labels on almost every mango. But I liked the basic composition, so I opened the image in Painter and got to work. I used cut and paste and some digital pastel to fill up the empty cartons. (Can you find them?) I also used digital pastel to cover up the labels, as well as to simplify parts of the background. Then I posterized the whole image, and cropped it to get this composition. Although some of the fruit in this photo is not real, I think the image captures the colorful and orderly chaos of these New York fruit stands. For example, the announcements in the (very beautiful) placards do not match the fruit below. In any case, I am glad to have a little souvenir of my (extremely short) trip to Manhattan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This must be where you bought all those cherries to make that tart!