Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Photo of Ruth Zagon by J. Raoul Turner (Reference Photo for Sketch)


Photo of My Mom by J. Raoul Turner (Reference Photo for Sketch)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is the reference photo that I used for the little crayon sketch that I posted yesterday. This photo hangs in my house, and today I took it down so I could scan it in to the computer. I have it framed in with the little 1940's cardboard matte, which I love. I decided to scan that in too, because it bears the name of the photographer: J. Raoul Turner, of Pueblo, Colorado, who did such a nice job! (The photo must have been taken before my mom got married, or at lease before my Dad's sister Rita and brother-in-law Ike moved out to Pueblo; Uncle Ike was a very talented professional photographer and became the family photographer.) I like the expression on her face, and even like the 1940's hairdo, and the dramatic collar. (She was tall and could carry it off.) This image inspired the little crayon sketch, which was more of an exercise in visual memory than an attempt at portraiture. I tried to draw her face without looking at the photo, and then went back to the photo to make corrections. (This is an exercise that I learned in a portrait-painting class, but for this sketch, I wanted to see if I could still remember my mother's face well enough to draw it, so in this case, this exercise was more emotional than artistic.)

No comments: