Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Winter Afternoon (Posterized)


Winter Afternoon (Posterized)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This image began with a picture that I took yesterday. It was late afternoon and I was heading into the house. The December afternoon sunlight was hitting the trees just right, and I liked the contrast with the snow-covered roof. I didn't have my digital camera (wasn't really thinking about taking a picture), but fumbled around with my gloves and my iPhone and took a couple of photographs. When I got the image into the computer, I could see that the focus was too soft, but I decided to see what I could do with it. I cropped the image in iPhoto. Then I opened the image in Painter and adjusted the contrast and the focus. Next I added a color overlay to the sky, which was washed out in the photo. After that I did some selective posterizing, using the magic wand tool. Finally, I cropped again in Painter to get the composition that you see here.

No comments: