Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Year of Trees (Stroke-by-Stroke Video)


New Year of Trees (Stroke-by-Stroke Video)
Originally uploaded by
randubnick

This is a stroke-by-stroke video captured by the Brushes app as I drew on the iPad. As is plain to see, I still have a lot to learn about making these little animations, but it is fun to learn something new. I did a series of five sketches, showing the same tree going through a year's worth of seasons. The drawings are not polished, and I had some issues with the videos. (Apparently if you make changes too late in the process, Brushes has problems capturing the change.) But I used iMovie to add some stills to try to solve the problem. I got the idea for this project a few weeks ago when I saw on my calendar that Tu B'Shevat was coming up. This holiday is also known as Jewish Arbor Day or the New Year of the Trees, a holiday that I really don't do much about as an adult, but when I was a child, the idea of celebrating a New Year for the Trees captivated my imagination. But you don't have to be Jewish! I also think this little project also works is a good reminder that the seasons change, and even if you are slogging through a hard winter, spring is inevitable.

No comments: