Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Still Amazed (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)


Still Amazed (Oil Bar Painting Day 2)
Originally uploaded by randubnick

This is a work in progress, an oil bar painting that I started yesterday. I am using one of my photos as a reference: a picture of the sunset that I took last year from Obear Park, here in Beverly, MA. (posted here on March 28.) I am not trying to create an exact copy of the photograph, but I am using it for inspiration and an aid to understanding what is happening visually in this scene. This morning I worked on this painting for about an hour, making some corrections in the basic composition that I roughed in yesterday. I changed the size and position of the land mass and changed the position of the cloud formation. I am not worrying too much about color and perspective at this point, just trying to get the basic shapes in the right place. It is easier to "see where I am" in a painting if I use strong colors and basic shapes at the beginning. The rays of light in the sky (and reflected in the water) are still large and exaggerated, but I will make them more subtle later on.

No comments: