Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Looking Up at Montmartre (Posterized)

This image began with a photo that I took on the second day in Paris. The hotel was near the Gare du Nord. I looked at the map and saw that Montmartre was not too far, so I decided to walk there. The basilica looks just like all the iconic pictures of it, but I was surprised to see so many tourists, souvenir stands, and the carousel! I liked the juxtaposition of the merry-go-round with the rest of the scene, so I decided to take a picture despite the crowds. The original version of this photo had lots of tourists in the foreground, but I opened the image in Painter and used some cropping, some cut-and-paste, and some digital airbrush to get a somewhat quieter scene. Then I posterized the result, and cropped one more time to get this composition.

No comments: