Saturday, August 06, 2011

Beans Revised

Beans Revised by randubnick
Beans Revised, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Tonight I thought I would try to digitally revise my little pen and ink drawing of a bean plant. (See posts for yesterday and the day before.) I thought maybe I could get the leaf shape to be horticulturally correct. (I should say, however, that I did find some pictures on line of bush bean plants with a leaf shape that looked somewhat like the shape in my drawing.)Anyway, I opened the jpeg of the drawing in Painter and got to work with digital pastel, and I was able to change the lines and re-draw the leaves. But the background was textured, so I was going to have to cover it all with digital chalk (in gray, to match the background.) I got started, and it was working. But it wasn't much fun. So I decided that if I was going to cover the whole image anyway, I might as well do it in color. I spent more time getting the lines right, outlining in green with a smaller "digital brush". But I used a big "brush" and opaque color on the background. At the last minute, I added a little extra yellow to the beans. (There were actually both yellow and green string beans growing out in the field, but I really did this because I was thinking of magic beans.) Then I posterized the whole image. So this turned into a digital re-make, rather than just a revision.

No comments: