Saturday, August 20, 2011

Little Chicken (Pen and Ink Sketch)

This is a pen and ink sketch that I drew tonight. It that was inspired by some chickens that I saw today during a walk at Long Hill Gardens. There were lots of different kinds of chickens to see, and the textures and patterns in their feathers were amazing. Although I did try to photograph the chickens, they were not interested in having their pictures taken, and I am not sure I got very good results. Afterwards, an idea for a pen and ink drawing popped into my head and wouldn't go away, so after dinner I gave up and grabbed a sharpie and a sketch pad. I started drawing from memory, but also looked at my photos for reference (still in the iPhone). I made some pretty big mistakes and had to start over. On the second attempt, I checked the chicken anatomy against some images of chickens on Google and made a few corrections. Then I started to play with texture and pattern, which was the original idea I had. Afterward, I photographed my sketch and used iPhoto to crop it to get this composition. It was good practice to do this drawing, I think. But the result was less playful than I wanted it to be, less stylized than the drawing I was imagining. Well, maybe I needed to attempt this (somewhat) realistic drawing first. I will try again later this week. . . .

No comments: