Thursday, August 11, 2011

Summer Still Life (Hand-Picked Tomatoes)

Today's adventure was a trip to the Food Project (CSA or Community Supported Agriculture). Here in Beverly, this is located in a big field at Long Hill Gardens. In addition to the bins of produce under a tent at the edge of the field, there are usually additional herbs or vegetables available for picking. So today I went out to the field to pick cherry tomatoes. Now, it isn't always easy to find the tomatoes among the tangle of tomato vines, but I just looked for orange and red among the green leaves. I am a big fan of color and think of it as tool for making art, but it was good to be reminded that color has more basic uses, such as making it easier to find food! I had two pint boxes to fill, and I liked the way the red and orange tomatoes looked against the blue cardboard. That's when I decided to take a photograph, but it had to wait until I got home. After dinner, I took this picture with my iPhone. Then I used iPhoto to do a bit of retouching, and cropped the image to get this composition.

No comments: