Thursday, September 22, 2011

Guinea Fowl with Green Beans

Today was Thursday, so this afternoon we went to Long Hill Gardens to get the weekly haul of produce from the Food Project (Community Supported Agriculture). I was out in the fields picking green beans when I heard a funny noise, which I realized was coming from one of those rather comical birds I had seen there. (They are actually guinea fowl; they look like a chicken and a wild turkey hybrid, and they make the strangest noise!) Anyway, I dropped the green beans and got out my iPhone. I tried not to startle the bird, but it was alarmed by the sound of the phone, and made lots of sounds of its own as it ran away toward the other birds, warning them of papparazzi. Well, this is the best of the pictures I took, and I had to work hard in iPhoto to make it look as good as it does. (I may try to make it into a digital woodcut.) If you look hard, you can see that its feathers are grey and white polka-dot, so I guess this counts as research for the chicken collage I have been working on.

No comments: