Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Necklace with Blue Felt Bead

Last week I learned how to make beads from rolled felt. This is something I had first heard about from my Aunt Edy, over the phone. (She in her nineties, and started making jewelry six years ago.) Her designs are beautiful! Well, the idea of making beads out of felt sounded intriguing; it was hard to get an idea of the process over the phone, so I looked it up on line and got the general idea, but had never gotten around to trying it. But last week I had a chance to spend some time with my aunt, so she got me started in person. I rolled a strip of blue felt around a skewer, and then closed the end with needle and thread. Then I started adding pink and silver beads with needle and thread, pretty much in a random pattern. (Not that I had a choice: I don't have much control yet!) When I was done, I took the felt bead off the skewer and put the it on a ready-made leather choker that I had picked up at the bead store. It was fun to do this and even more fun to spend time with my aunt.

No comments: