Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tree and Fence in Snowstorm (Posterized Photograph)

The weather outside is definitely not frightful; in fact, it is rather warm for mid-December. But I have been looking through some photos that I took a few years ago and found one that I took on February 12, 2006 of a tree in my yard during a big snowstorm. Today I wondered why I had never used that photo. The tree looked great in the snow! But I guess it must have been the foreground which was cluttered with grasses or perhaps the wayward branch that obscured the line of the fence. Tonight I decided to see what I could do about those problems. I copied the image and opened in Painter. I increased the resolution, and then got to work. I used a combination of cut and paste and digital pastel to simplify the foreground and eliminated the branch to get a clearer view of the fence. Then I posterized it, using trial and error to get the best color scheme, and this is the result. I also went on to create a digital woodcut, which I plan to post here tomorrow.

No comments: