Thursday, March 29, 2012

Landscape in Four Colors

Landscape in Four Colors by randubnick
Landscape in Four Colors, a photo by randubnick on Flickr.

Here is the photo of my painting as it looked this morning. I think it is done. (I am never completely certain.) At least I can say for sure that this is the image that I submitted for a juried show. I have been planning to put a pink glaze over the painting, although I hesitated. But late yesterday, I decided to go for it. I mixed some matte acrylic medium with a bit of crimson to get a transparent pink glaze. I tried it out over some paint strokes on the back edge of the canvas and decided I liked it. I wanted to create some shimmer and movement and make the colors more lively. There is red in all four of these colors, so I thought a pink glaze would work. Besides, I have begun to think of this as a deconstructed sunset, so pink makes sense. I scumbled the glaze on, creating contrast with the controlled layers of flat color underneath. When I was in college, I learned color field painting, which aims to produce lines so perfect and a surface so flat that no brush strokes show. It was interesting, but I soon rebelled and began to juxtapose flat color field surfaces with biomorphic shapes and textures in my paintings. So I guess I am still rebelling. Last night, with this little deconstructed landscape, the final layer of glazing lets the brush stroke and the human gesture have the last word.

No comments: