Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sketch for Painting (Landscape in Four Colors)

I have been considering ideas for a painting that suggests change (for a theme show). My recent designs with squares and circles got me thinking about doing a series of paintings of squared circles in different colors, and I even made a rough sketch. It's a good idea, and I will use it sometime soon. But I decided I wanted to do a progression with color in a single painting. Then I thought of doing a landscape divided into four sections and show a progression with four colors. When I got this idea, I was making coffee, filling the dishwasher, and trying to get my day started. But I stopped what i was doing and worked the idea out on some index cards with crayon. This idea combines my mountain landscapes with the old color field painting that I used to do back in the 1970s. The numbers on the index card refer to the colors: blue, pink, purple, and salmon, for colors that all work for both sky and land. On the basis of this little index card, I decided to create the painting. This is for a juried show so who knows if the painting will be accepted. But I am interested in the project anyway, so I decided to go for it. I am using acrylic for this painting because it makes a flat surface (good for hard edge painting) and because it dries fast. (Submission deadline is coming right up.)

No comments: