Sunday, June 10, 2012

Colorado Drawings "Aspen Again"

This drawing is based on a little sketch somewhere near Aspen, back in the 80's. It is part of a series of drawings based on a small (5"x 8") sketchbook that I took with me on a trip home to Colorado during the 1980s. I was drawing from the passenger seat of a moving car, just trying to capture the lines of the mountains, and sometimes I wrote down the location, as in this one. For this series, I am scanning the sketches into my computer and printing out copies which I then use to trace into a new sketchbook. (I put the print-out copy over graphite paper and trace over the lines.) The original sketch is posted here on April 25th. This is my second attempt at a drawing based on the Aspen sketch. (The first one was posted here on May 3). As with the earlier attempt, the color scheme for this drawing is inspired by the accidental inspiration of a printer malfunction when I printed out the copy for tracing. The printer heads weren't working and instead of black and white, I got turquoise and white, with faint red lines. (See post for April 27th.) For this second version, I wanted to maintain the accidental color scheme of turquoise and red, but this time I left more white area so as to give more emphasis to the lines of the mountains. If you want to see other drawings in this series, search my posts for "Colorado Drawings" and "Colorado Sketchbook".

No comments: