Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dad and Me (Digitally Edited and Posterized Family Photo)

Yesterday I was looking for pictures of my dad for a Father's Day project. I was rifling through albums trying to find one of my favorite old photos, and then realized I was looking right at it, in a little plastic cube frame displayed on the shelf where I keep my albums. This is a photo of my dad with me on my birthday. The picture was taken by my uncle, Isaac Fitterman, a very talented photographer (professional name Jay Phillips) who took many great photos of the whole family! Well, this particular copy in the cube frame was much loved, and as a result was was much loved and the copy in the cube frame was worn, bent, and cracked. No doubt there is another copy somewhere (and I probably have the negative) but I decided to use this one. So I scanned it into my computer as a color photo, and used iPhoto's retouch tool to take out the worst of the cracks and marks. Then I used Painter to posterize it, which created the pink and green tones, and added a little sparkle to my ruffled blouse. Then I cropped it a little to get this composition. So this image is a collaboration with my Uncle Ike (who was a wonderful uncle to me), and a way to spend a little time thinking about my dad on Father's Day.

No comments: