Friday, July 26, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of July 26, 2013)

This morning I worked on my oil bar painting, a landscape based on a photo I took last summer at Bradley Palmer State Park here in Massachusetts. Today I concentrated on the tree on the left side of the canvas, still working out the placement of the branches. Now this tree doesn't appear in the reference photo that I posted here on June 14, but it does appear in the original version of the photo (posted on August 25, 2012.) That tree disappeared when I cropped the photo to get a square image. But I decided to put it back in, but in a slightly different place. That has been tricky, but now I think I am on the right track. This morning I figured out where I want the branches of that tree to go, making sure they don't obscure the view. I also am trying to add foliage at the left side of the canvas, but am letting the view of river show through the leaves. I am still using pink to indicate trees in the foreground, just to make things easier to see while I am working out the composition, but they will be green in the final painting, and that will make them less prominent. To be continued. . . .

No comments: