Monday, July 08, 2013

Sunlight and Storm Clouds (Oil Bar Painting as of July 6)

This is my oil bar painting as it looked on July 6th. It is loosely based on one of my photos (posted here June 19) taken from Obear Park, looked at Salem, across the water. After I worked on the trees, I realized that the streaks of reflected light in the water seemed to be in the wrong place. I studied the reference photo and concluded that the reflections are of the tall trees that are the most brightly lit. So what I needed to do was to line them up with the tree trunks of those trees. I had already spent a lot of time painting that water, but it needed to be done, so that is what I did. I started by putting in the brightest streaks of light and worked from there, trying to avoid losing what I already had as I made changes. It took a couple of hours, but I think it was worth it. And I was pretty happy about the painting, until I noticed that the trees were listing gently to the right! So I would need to fix that too. To be continued. . . .

No comments: