Monday, August 19, 2013

Reflections (Oil Bar Painting as of August 15, 2013)

Here is my oil bar painting as it looked several days ago, on Thursday, August 15. I have been working on this project for a while, just an hour every day. This landscape is based on a photo that I took at Bradley Palmer State Park in Topsfield, MA. (The photo is posted here on June 14, 2013, the day before I started painting -- two months ago!) I remember working on the foliage that day, trying to add a little more texture and depth to the foliage. I thought I was almost finished, but something was bothering me, and finally figured out that it was the stand of three trees in the distance. No matter what I did to the foliage, I wasn't happy with the shape, placement, or proportion of that little group of trees. And that meant that somehow I would have to fix it, because the entire composition is leading the eye to that tree. So I wasn't finished after all. But I didn't want to risk the whole painting by using trial and error on the canvas, so I thought I would try out some solutions in Painter using a jpg of the image. To be continued. . . .

No comments: