Saturday, November 02, 2013

Mom Walking to Crews Beggs (Acrylic Water-Media)

I did this painting of my mom back in 1992, using acrylics as water-media on paper. She died in 1984 and I found comfort in old photos of her. This got me started on a series of water media paintings based on old 1940s family photos. The particular photo that inspired this painting was taken by my very amazing uncle, Ike Fitterman (AKA Jay Phillips of Jay Phillips Photography Studio in Pueblo). My uncle's photo is a 1940s black and white, taken on Main Street in Pueblo, Colorado, in front of the Crews Beggs Department Store. That photo is still one of my favorite pictures of my mother. (I also created a colorized version of that photo which I posted on this site on April 25, 2005.) Just a few weeks ago, in early October, I was ransacking portfolios in my studio, looking for something else, and came across this painting. I thought I had posted this water media painting here previously, but no, I hadn't. So I decided to wait to post it until today, because my mom was born on November 2nd.

1 comment:

julie F said...

I love this, Randa! There is so much talent in your family!