Monday, September 01, 2014

Magnolia Blossoms (Oil Bar Painting as of September 1, 2014)



Here is my painting of magnolia blossoms, still a work in progress. I am working with oil bars on an 8 x 10 inch canvas. I am using one of my photos as a reference (posted here on August 14.) Today I worked on the blossoms. I am trying to suggest a little bit the play of light and shadow in the reference photo. I am finding it challenging, especially with pink and white blossoms, but then one of my favorite painting teachers used to say that white is the most difficult color to paint. So yesterday I decided to shift the colors towards purple to suggest shade. This morning, just to be sure, I decided to confirm that approach by checking out the colors in the reference photo with Painter's color selection tool. After I got a little digital confirmation, I went to work on those blossoms with more confidence.

No comments: