Friday, October 03, 2014

Ruth & Hy Dancing (Posterized)



This image began as a negative that I found last May when I was rummaging among family photos, looking for something else. I sure recognized the people, and wanted to see more. I didn't have a print, so I scanned the negative into the computer and then used Painter software to create a positive image. It was a great picture of my parents dancing at a wedding. The photo was taken by my Uncle Ike (Isaac Fitterman), who was a professional photographer. The negative was in an envelope labeled "Ruth & Hy" and identifies the event as a wedding in June of 1954. Tonight I went back to the rescued photograph and opened it in Painter again. I cropped the original image and then used some cut-and-paste to get rid of a distraction in the foreground (a taffeta skirt worn by another wedding guest). Then I used a combination of digital pastel and color overlay to add color, and posterized the image section by section. It was fun to invent the colors and to think about my parents on the dance floor. I am grateful to have this image because this is how they looked when I was a child. So my negative turned into a positive image. And a memory turns into a blessing.

No comments: