Saturday, January 10, 2015

Tree and Hillside (Oil Bar Painting as of January 10, 2015)



This morning I returned to this painting. This oil bar landscape is based on a scene that I photographed in late October at Appleton Farms (in Ipswich, MA). My reference photos are posted on this site on January 2nd and 3rd. I have been thinking about the riddle of the tree: how to make it look as tall as possible but still bring the branches in and down so that the crown of the tree won't look sliced off by the top of the canvas. Today I started by modifying the tree shape so that the trunk gets smaller towards the top of the canvas, and that helped. (That's something I had done that when I first sketched this painting on the canvas, but lost it in the last revision.) Then I changed the placement of the fence poles near the tree to make them slightly shorter and more slender, which should also help. As I made changes, I added some color mainly to cover up revised lines so I can see what I am doing. I am still working on composition so am not yet very concerned about the colors. So these are not the final colors, but it did make me happy to see the yellow-green against the sky.

No comments: