Saturday, January 17, 2015

Tree and Hillside (Oil Bar Painting as of January 17, 2015)


It's been about a week since I worked on this painting, but it has been mighty cold in my home studio! I am using oil bars for this landscape, which is based on some photos I took in October at Appleton Farms in Ipswich, MA. (My photo references are posted here on January 2nd and 3rd.) Today I continued with establishing the composition, and started working out placement of foliage on this big tree. This is tricky because I have changed the shape of the tree a bit, and plan to make more changes to the foliage for the sake of the composition. Even trickier will be to add branches facing back and forward (foreshortened). It's scary (painting always is) but I have made a start. I added some red-violet to the tree branches to distinguish them from the foliage and to indicate where I want the branches to show through the foliage.

No comments: