Thursday, January 22, 2015

Tree Tops and Sky (Photo)



I am currently working on a painting of a tree (see yesterday's post). So between painting sessions, I have been thinking about and looking at trees as a go about my day. Although my current painting is of an autumn scene, winter is a great time to study trees because all the branches are visible. Yesterday I noticed this stand of trees while I was running some errands. I was in a parking lot, and got out of my car to take a picture. Of course I was looking at the structure, thinking about tree shapes, and thought I would take a reference photo for my painting. But the beauty of the late afternoon light on those trees took over, and I wanted to capture the shapes and the colors: apricot branches and periwinkle sky. Apart from some cropping, this photo is just as it came out of the camera. At first, I thought this was just going to be a reference for my current painting (and it is). But I think this photo has potential on its own terms, and who knows, might be the basis for another painting some day.

No comments: