Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Tree and Hillside (Oil Bar Painting as of February 18, 2015)


I didn't get a chance to work on this painting until late afternoon. I am painting this scene at Appleton Farms in Ipswich, MA, from photos that I took in October. (My reference photos are posted here, January 2nd and 3rd.) This afternoon I continued to struggle with areas of light and dark in the foliage. In the photo (and in this painting) the sun is beyond the tree with shadows cast toward the viewer. So the tree is back lit, and that means that the leaves in shadow are closer to the viewer. I am using pale yellow and dark green to indicate light and shadow; while I am working, exaggerated differences in color and value help me to see what I am doing, but I will tone things down a bit before I am finished. I also added more shadow to the foreground.

No comments: