Friday, March 27, 2015

Still Life with Kugel (Illustration as of March 27, 2015)


I worked on this drawing this morning. This is soon to be an illustration for a recipe on our food blog (seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com). The recipe is for an apple kugel that my mother sometimes made for Passover. This morning, I continued to work out the color scheme, using colored pencils. But after about an hour, I decided that I needed to change course. I wasn't getting the kind of contrast that I needed, and more important, I was losing the outlines of the still life. So I tried adding colored conte crayon to the colored pencil, and that immediately solved the problems of color and contrast. Then I used dark blue fine-line marker to go over the outlines that I had drawn in with dark blue colored pencil. I was happy with that, too, especially the whimsical look of the outlined objects. It's a little risky to make that kind of change, but I have had good luck with the combination of marker and conte crayon in some other drawings. Suddenly everything seemed easier, and my recipe illustration was back on track. So now this is going to be a mixed media drawing. This is still a work in progress; I want to add more color and do some cleanup. But I am happy about this drawing and things should go faster now.

No comments: