Tuesday, September 22, 2015

L'Shana Tova (Final Version)


For Rosh Hashanah, I created a version of this image, using the Brushes app on my iPad, and posted it here. The Brushes app captures a stroke-by-stroke animation as you draw, so I also posted that for the second day of Rosh Hashanah. When you draw on an iPad, you are basically drawing with your fingertips and it is hard to be precise. Today I decided to go back to the iPad drawing and open in it Painter (on my desktop) so that I could try to clean it up. In Painter, I threw a grid over the image, and used cut-and-paste to rearrange some of the letters and solve a few placement problems. Then I did a whole lot of general cleanup with digital pastel, fixing many, many tiny problems. And then I corrected the format by adding 50 pixels to right and left and adding the same background color. But It's still not perfect, but I think it looks better. I think that in art (and in life) better is better than perfect. So I am post this new version today to say Happy New Year to friends and family on Yom Kippur and to wish everyone health and happiness in the days ahead.

No comments: