Thursday, October 29, 2015

Apples on the Tree (Oil Bar Painting as of October 29, 2015)


I put some extra time into this painting today because I need to finish it by tomorrow. (I am submitting it for a show.) This is oil bar on a small canvas (8 x 10 inches). I am working from a photo that I took at Long Hill Gardens, here in Beverly, MA. (My reference photo is posted here, October 18.) So this morning, I started by mixing up some warmer shades of green, using a warm blue, and worked on the leaves, painting in missing leaves and brightening leaves that were already painted in. Then I used some dark red-violet to paint shadows on the apples and on the leaves.  Finally, I painted in the sunlight (background) with pale yellow. The composition and colors are pretty much there.  Tomorrow I plan to clean up some of the lines and fix little mistakes. Almost done. . .

No comments: