Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Squirrel Sketch 1


Last week, I used the Brushes app on my iPad to create a little animation. (Brushes captures a stroke-by-stroke video as you draw.)  I called the animation "Squirrel Says Happy Holidays" because it shows a squirrel running around the yard and creating a "Happy Holidays" message in the snow. (The video is posted here on Dec. 23.) But before I started drawing with the Brushes app, I practiced drawing squirrels because I knew I would need to draw quickly and accurately or the animation effect wouldn't work.  I thought about the squirrels we see every day here in the yard, and I looked at photos, and then spent almost an hour sketching using pen and ink on paper till I could quickly draw an image of a squirrel.  I must have drawn about 30 squirrels and made just about as many mistakes, but there were few sketches that I liked, and this is one of them. This is the squirrel running along the back fence.

No comments: