Friday, January 22, 2016

Vanilla Wafer Ice-Box Cake (Illustration)


I finished this project today. This is an illustration for a recipe on our food blog, Seasoning for Every Palate (seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com.) We are going to publish a recipe for a no-bake dessert that my mom made when I was a kid. This drawing is mixed media, with colored pencil, crayon, colored conte, marker, and acrylic paint. I did a lot of finishing work to get this done this morning.I darkened the tabletop area with a combination of brown and purple conte pencils to get more contrast. I added saturation to the blue and pink areas in the background and to the plate in the foreground. I wanted even more contrast so I used translucent layers of pale acrylic paint to lighten the pink of the dessert and also added a bit more yellow to the top cookie-crumb layer of the dessert. I made a lot of other small changes to small details, too boring to mention, until I finally I decided it was ready to go. I hope to have the recipe and this illustration posted by Monday at the latest.

No comments: