Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Color Tryout: Bela Bacalhau with Sketch #2


I have been working on decorating a wooden cutout of a codfish for the Marblehead Arts Festival; fifty area artists are decorating fish cutouts that will be displayed in downtown Marblehead and then auctioned off. My design is inspired by the blue and white tiles (azulejos) that I see when I visit Portugal. I decided to give my fish a Portuguese name: Bela Bacalhau (Beautiful Codfish). So this is a photo of my codfish project on May 7, with a color tryout sketch positioned on top. Can you see the sketch? At this point, I had already chosen the blue that I would use if I colored in the wave design on the inside of the squares. But I still wasn't sure whether to color the areas in at all, or to leave them white, outlined in blue. So before I started making changes on the wooden cutout, I wanted to get a better idea of how the design would look with those areas colored in. So I put the color tryout sketch right on top of the fish and took a hard look. That really helped, and I decided that i wanted to add color to those areas because I thought it would strengthen the design and would balance the strong blue lines on the fins and tail. To be continued. . .

No comments: