Monday, May 09, 2016

Color Tryout Sketch #1 for Bela Bacalhau


I am finishing up a project for the Marblehead Arts Festival, decorating a wooden cutout of a codfish, to be displayed and then auctioned off.  I am decorating my codfish with a design inspired by Portuguese azulejos (blue and white tiles), and I have named my codfish "Bela Bacalhau".  A few days ago, I finished drawing in all the design elements (see post for May 6). But I was still thinking hard about adding color to one of the design elements: the "wave" design on the inside of the square.  My choices were to leave the design as is (the safest option), to color it in with dark blue to match the outline, or to add a second blue color.  I couldn't decide so I decide to do some trial runs.  I had already made a rough sketch in pencil on a piece of paper (4" x 4") so the squares were just about "life sized". I grabbed my sharpies and quickly outlined the shapes in dark blue. Then I tried out some color variations in the four squares: waves in white, dark blue, and a lighter blue. In one square, I also tried adding color to the circular element. This is a very rough sketch, but it helped me to visualize the problem, and  I was able to show this sketch to my beleaguered family members to see which option they preferred. To be continued.

No comments: