Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Sailboats from Salem Willows (With Prisma's Mosaic Effect)


Yesterday I posted a photo that I took last week from Salem Willows, looking at sailboats and the Beverly shore beyond. Here is a version of the same photo with a mosaic effect that I added, using my new Prisma app. I am trying to learn what the various filters do, and most of them allow you to control the amount of effect applied. I also re-cropped the image. I do a lot of art work with digital tools, so I am used to applying various effects and filters, with Painter on my desktop and Brushes on my iPad. (For example, Painter offers a mosaic effect.) Some people think that this sort of digital tool makes art "automatically" or somehow devalues fine art. I say that thinking Prisma or anything else can make "instant art" is what devalues art. To me, Prisma is just another of the digital tools I use from time to time, and those tools don't devalue what I do when I use oils or watercolors or chalk. Prisma can no more make art "automatically" than a color wheel or a compass or a box of crayons or Photoshop or Painter. It takes the artists' eye, heart, vision, and brain and a thousand tiny decisions to make art, even with the help of a digital tool.

No comments: