Sunday, October 16, 2016

Feijoada (Recipe Illustration as of Oct. 16, 2016)


Today I had a chance to work on this project, an illustration for a recipe that is going to be published on our food blog,  seasoningforeverypalate.wordpress.com.  The recipe is for feijoada, Brazilian black bean stew, served with many garnishes and side dishes. But a feijoada is not just a dish; it's an event. And through a series of coincidences, Brazil and feijoada became part of our family story.  I decided to organize this illustration like a mandala, with the black beans in the center, surrounded by ingredients and garnishes (sausages, oranges, kale, etc.). Today I finally started to add color, using colored conte crayon.  I used purple and blue-violet for the black beans, trying to let the pattern of the beans show through.  And I used red-orange and orange to get the color I wanted for the oranges.  That's all I had time to do today.  But I enjoyed it. This is the fun part.

No comments: