Saturday, January 07, 2017

Portrait of Us (Painting as of Jan. 7, 2017)


Today I did a little more work on this painting. This is (obviously) a work-in-progress.  I am just getting started. This will be a portrait of two people, painted with acrylics on canvas ( I 14 x 18 inches). I am working from a vacation photo of this couple in Greece, riding a motorbike and wearing helmets and sunglasses).  Last month, I worked on a pencil sketch as preparation, to learn the faces.  (The pencil sketch is posted here, December 14, 2016.)  I made a quick beginning of the painting by tracing the main lines of the pencil sketch, just to establish the positions of the figures and the main features. I did a little more drawing on the canvas with pencil,  just so I could see the marks, and then switched to brown and white paint. Today I kept going with just brown and white paint, in thin layers of paint. This is underpainting only. At this point, I am not being too fussy about getting a likeness, but am just trying to make sure things are in the right place.  

No comments: