Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Chapter I - Courtship (Posterized Photo)


Today would have been my parents' wedding anniversary; they were married on April 4, 1943. This afternoon I was looking for a picture of them in my mom's album. My mother kept an photo album that begins when she first met my dad,  through their wedding a few months later, their honeymoon trip to NYC, and then photos that my dad sent back while he was overseas during WWII and photos of my mom's life in Pueblo until he returned.  She kept all the photos in order, with captions and information written longhand in white ink on the black album paper.  Today I found a snapshot right on the first page, the first picture of them when they began to date. My mother wrote, "Chapter I - Courtship: I met Private Hy Zagon at a USO Dance Thursday eve, January 21, 1943. We dated Friday & Saturday and it was on Sunday that these pictures were taken." On this page are eight photos, some she identifies as taken at Pueblo's City Park Zoo, and the rest taken at her house, "the Katz house," the house in which I grew up.  So this picture was taken on January 24, 1943.  They were married just a few months later. The original snapshot itself is black and white, about 3 x 4 inches (if that). I started by retouching to remove some scratches, then opened the image in Painter and added color overlays and selective posterizing till I got what I wanted.  It was fun to spend time working on this, thinking about young love, familiar faces, and the street where I grew up. 

No comments: