Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Bright Tree at Long Hill (Revised) as of June 14, 2017


Back on April 29, 2017, I said that this oil bar painting was finished. But since I said that, I have been thinking of doing more work on it, adding more contrast and more intensity to some of the colors. This is based on a photo that I took at Long Hill Gardens in October. (You can see my reference photo posted here on November 5th). Although it was overcast when I took the photo, I think some of the colors are too muted.  This may be because I was using a lot of pale gray mixed in with the colors to soften them. But sometimes an overcast sky makes colors more seem more intense, not less.  In any case, I got started with my revision a few days ago, adding a bit more blue to the sky and adding more yellow to the leaves. Today, I added some brighter green to the lawn, and some darker green to suggest shadows in the trees on the right.  I also used some red-violet for shadows in the red tree on the left, as well as on the branches. In the process, I added a bit more detail.  To be continued. . . .

No comments: