Monday, July 10, 2017

Still Life at the MFA (Pencil Sketch)


Yesterday we saw the Matisse show (Matisse in the Studio) at Boston's Museum of Fine Arts.  It was the last day and I hesitated to go because I thought it would be very crowded.  Well, it was crowded,  but I am glad I went anyway because I loved it.  Objects in Matisse's studio were juxtaposed with paintings in which they were featured, so the emphasis was on still life., but also on the patterns seen in the many tapestries in his studio and the paintings in which those patterned tapestries appear.  I was very excited to see old favorites and new discoveries.  At the end of the exhibit, you walk out into the gift shop, which is lovely.  But when I see an art show like that, I don't feel like buying something; I feel like drawing something.  Luckily, right outside the gift shop, there was a still life setup, with chairs, small drawing boards, paper, pencils, and a sign inviting people to draw if they were inspired by Matisse.  I was so I did. This was just pencil on well, basically typing paper, but I had fun. I was thinking about all the pattern that Matisse used. I sketched for maybe five to ten minutes, and then it was time to move on.  Maybe I will do more with this sometime.  Anyway, I took a picture of the still life setup and plan to post it here tomorrow.

No comments: